Applications for the 2017–2018 are now open. Deadline to apply is midnight on March 23, 2017.
Through the American Airlines Education Foundation, dependents of American employees and its wholly owned subsidiaries can apply for $2,500 scholarships for full-time undergraduate study at any accredited university, college or vocational school. Applicants are evaluated based on academic achievement, community service, leadership and financial need. In 2016, 287 scholarships were awarded, totaling $756,500.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to be considered for this scholarship.
Applicants need to be:
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in a college/university, community college or trade school for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- A dependent son or daughter of an active employee of American Airlines who has been employed for at least one year as of March 23, 2017, and American Airlines parent/guardian must be employed at the time awards are announced.
- NEW IN 2017: Dependents of international employees are now eligible to apply
Ready to apply?
To apply, complete the online application. You will be prompted to set up an account. Enter “AmAir” when asked for the Program Key to complete the sign-up process.
What is the selection criteria?
Scholarships will be considered in separate categories depending on country of residence. An independent selection committee will evaluate the applications and select the recipients considering:Academic Achievement
- Grade point average
- Class rank
- Academic awards and honors
- Demonstrated commitment
- Service on a regular basis
- Participation in school and non-school activities (athletics, clubs, yearbook, school newspaper, etc.), awards and honors
- Leadership roles on athletic teams (captain, c-captain, etc.) or in other activities (president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, editor, etc.)
- Number of hours worked outside the home
- Employment position (shift leader, team leader, etc.)
- Duration of employment
- Grammar and spelling
There are optional additional selection criteria for U.S. applicants:Financial Need
- Applicant needs to submit a FAFSA to be considered based on financial need.
What are the details of the award?
- Awards will be $2,500 each and are not renewable.
- Students may reapply each year as long as they continue to meet the eligibility criteria.
- Award funds may only be used for expenses at the following types of institutions:
- U.S. schools: Accredited, nonprofit two- or four-year colleges/universities, and trade schools
- Non-U.S. schools: Post-secondary two- or four-year colleges/universities, and trade schools
- The scholarships will be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for course load.
- Students may transfer from one institution to another and retain the award.
Read the full guidelines and FAQs.Opens external site in a new window
For questions, please contact our scholarship management customer care department at 855-670-ISTS (4787) or email@example.com. If you have a question for American Airlines Community Relations, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.